Wednesday 23 September 2009

Kate Wash CD Review: Folking Cool


“Argh nooo, not ANOTHER female singer-songwriter moaning about men!” I hear you cry. But fear not, shush your grumbles and give Kate Walsh a go. You’ll soon realise that she’s far superior to any of the girlies presently taking over the UK charts.

Kate Walsh is bloody good and the proof is in the pudding. Back in 2007 this Brighton-based lady knocked super-group Take That off the top of the download charts with her debut album Tim’s House. This year sees the release of Kate’s third record Light and Dark.

Light and Dark is a brazenly morose album centred upon Walsh’s tempestuous love life. A romantic at heart, Walsh has confessed that she enjoys wallowing in failed romances: “Yes my heart is on my sleeve all the time. I mope more than anyone else”. But it’s not all self-pitying doom and gloom. Kate’s dark lyrics are a striking contrast to her breathy melodious vocals which have earned her comparisons to Joni Mitchell and Regina Spektor.

The lyrics to the album’s title track are refreshingly honest and full of raw emotion as Kate recalls a messy love affair involving two men. A sensitive soul, Walsh cried on stage whilst performing the track at London’s Union Chapel as she sang, “When I think of how you held me, like I was the one and only. I wish that I could love you, like I ought to, like I wanted to”.

Released on Blueberry Pie, Light and Dark is packed with lush productions and gentle guitar riffs. Fans of Turin Brakes will most likely have already heard Kate’s songs The Greatest Love and Light and Dark which both feature guest vocals from Brakes frontman Olly Knight. His involvement with the record will hopefully help Kate Walsh to achieve the mainstream recognition which she deserves. Not that she cares what you think…she’s adamant that she is uninterested in fame.

Light and Dark is a highly personal album. Listening to Walsh’s heart-rending lyrics is like poring over her personal diary extracts. However, her tales of messy breakups and love triangles are something of which we can all relate. It’s the perfect album to have a sniffle and drown your sorrows to.

3 comments:

  1. Jenni, I really enjoy reading your reviews.You have a lovely writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, forgot to say,not heard of this lady before but i'm going to give her a listen as you rate her so highly. I'll let you know what I think if you like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Velma! Thanks for your comments :) Yup that would be great!

    ReplyDelete